Controversial NSA phone data collection program shut down, aide says | WHAT REALLY HAPPENED

Controversial NSA phone data collection program shut down, aide says

The National Security Agency has quietly discontinued a controversial program put in place after the September 11 terrorist attacks that collected and analyzed millions of Americans' domestic calls and texts, according to a senior Republican congressional aide.

The NSA hasn't used the system in months, and the Trump administration might not seek to renew its legal authority, Luke Murray, the national security advisor for House minority leader Kevin McCarty (R-Calif.), said in a podcast Saturday.

Under a controversial national security policy put in place by the Patriot Act in 2001, the NSA had been collecting large amounts of metadata, the digital information that accompanies electronic communications. That information included what phone numbers were on the call, when the call was placed and how long it lasted, which was then saved in a database.

Webmaster's Commentary: 

My guess; they couldn't get usable intelligence out of that mess.

Comments

SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA